This was the first in a series of classes for which we have signed up and it was a pretty hard and fast indoctrination. I must admit, even as a self-proclaimed fast-learner, it was a lot to take in but I think I did quite alright. As proof, I present to you my Top 10 list for today - "Top 10 Important Facts I Learned Tonight in my Baby Basics Education Class":
1. Newborns can develop a blister in the center of their top lip due to sucking their thumb while in the womb - ("Don't pick it off," the instructor said; like who would?)
2. Newborns heads can look like E.T.'s for the first few days before rounding out - (i.e. Coneheads on SNL)
3. Newborns only see up to 10 inches at birth - (I'll be sure to hold the birth week's issue of The Economist within this distance so Lauren can catch up on the current events that coincide with her birth in December - perhaps "Confirmed: Democrats take back the House" - early conditioning and edification)
4. At birth, genitalia are swollen and large due to hormonal influence while in the womb but soon subside afterwards - (I guess this would lead to some naive fathers misinterpreting the "manliness" of their new son at birth)
5. Pacifier thermometers are unreliable 28% of the time so don't use it - (too bad; the handle seemed like it would be convenient for dislodging following rectal measurements)
6. Machismo of fathers-to-be causes uncomfortableness in such an environment - (we didn't ask any questions about babies but heck, we were very manly by quickly forking over our moolah, the $15 to buy the recommended "Baby 411" book at the session - "the denominations of my bills are larger than yours")
7. Hoag Hospital offers "Rooming-In", which is a single, private room that advocates a family setting (I sleep there too with Lorraine and Lauren) for 48 hours - (I'll be sure to pack my PS2, stack of that week's magazines, and my DVD boxed-set, "New York Yankees, Fall Classics 1996-2001")
8. There's a fail-safe baby holding technique called the "Football Carry" where you reach around and grab the baby's opposite thigh while cradling; it seemed very secure - (now if only the Jet's Curtis Martin can return soon from injury and adopt this technique; it may help out NYJ's worrisome turnover ratio this season)
9. Swaddling, which is tightly wrapping your baby "burrito-style" in a blanket, is a miraculously effective way to calm a restless baby - (OK, but how do you do chips and salsa?)
10. Lorraine was the most beautiful person in attendance tonight - ("My wife is more lovely than your wife")

OK, this entry didn't turn out so short after all. I guess I'm still pumped after my "victory" tonight - bring on the Gatorade shower...
4 comments:
Lorraine looks beautiful
Henry should be looking at a career in writing, as he brings the real inter feeling of fathers to be at these meeting I will wait with bated breath for the chapter of Can this really be happening to us What could possaibly happen next to my body-Lorraine and What to write in my next chapter-Henry
Love Dad, Mr. G
You are such a glowing Mom to be, Lorraine! Some advice... yell at Henry as much as you want b/c he can't say anything... I'm such a troublemaker.
Love,
Mar
Thanks, Mar. Yes, my wife is quite the glowing one. But what about me, yo?
-Henry
The fact that the list that you guys wrote is sooo thorough, scares me. My goodness. Lorraine, I'll be sure to help you hide the PS2.
Post a Comment